So I found this Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad recipe online, and decided we had to try it. "What's not to like?" I thought.
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds grape tomatoes, halved (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, diced
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
So per user suggestions, I chopped about two tablespoons of cilantro, added another tablespoon of parsley, and mixed the herbs up with olive oil and some lemon juice. For the record, this resulted in a completely disgusting mixture, which was not improved when The Pit decided to add some mustard and a dash of balsamic vinegar. By the end of our experimentation, the dressing resembled one of those elementarily school lunchtime concoctions.* So much for the wisdom of crowds.
Eventually I decided to go with some salt and freshly ground pepper, a bit of chopped cilantro, and a splashing of lemon juice for the dressing. Also, since I only wanted enough salad for two people plus one lunch, I reduced the portions a bit, and my final combo looked like so:
- 3 ears corn, kernels removed
- 16 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 and 1/2 medium avocados, diced
- juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
I served it with boxed Trader Joe's Creamy Tomato Soup, spiced up by a handful of grape tomatoes, 1/2 chopped avocado, freshly ground pepper, and a bit of parsley. The soup was delicious.
* The Pit looked at me like I had two heads when I mentioned this. Am I the only one that remembers the boys mixing all available liquid (and sometimes solid) lunch substances together in the middle of the lunchroom? Like, a little milk, somebody's juice box, mustard and ketchup, and then maybe a sprinkling of chips. One unfortunate would always get dared to eat the resulting mess.